King Cake Gateau
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
4C granulated sugar
1.5C egg whites
2 3/4C all purpose flour
2 3/4C cake flour
1T baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 1/4C milk
1/2 T vanilla extract
Zest + juice half an orange
3/4 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spray and line 3 flat half sheet pans with parchment.
- Using a mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; scraping down the sides of the bowl.Add in the egg whites and beat until fluffy; continuing to scrape down the sides.
- In a separate bowl, combine wet and dry ingredients, them. Starting and end with dry ingredients.
- Make sure to scrape the bowl and ensure everything is incorporated.
- Divide the batter into 3 mixing bowls
- Add in separate food coloring to each bowl (purple, green and gold).
- Bake 25 minutes (or until done).
Cinnamon Cream Cheese frosting
24 oz cream cheese, soft
2.5C confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 sticks unsalted butter, soft
2 tsp cinnamon
- Beat everything until smooth and fluffy with a mixer.
Once cakes have cooled, (tip - cool your cake layers upside down to help flatten them out), place a spoonful of frosting on a cake stand (this will help prevent the cake from moving). Now, place the purple layer on frosted cake stand. Starting with approximately one cup of frosting, use an offset spatula to dollop frosting on top of the purple layer. Start in the middle of the cake and spread the frosting evenly over the top and just past the edge of the top surface. The overhang of frosting will help you frost the sides of the cake. Next, place the green layer on top and press gently to ensure that it sticks. Now, repeat process as with the first layer, frost the second layer and then the third, gold layer.
Top with a sprinkle of purple, green and gold sugar.